Monday, April 5, 2010

Good Books!

You are in your local library perusing the shelves and suddenly, a book catches your eye. You just have to stop and read it, then take it home to share it with your family. This book isn’t a classic, nor a heart stopping thriller, or even on the best seller list…It is a picture book. Yep, a children’s picture book.


I love reading aloud to my children and I think high quality literature is wonderful, but sometimes you need a good old fashioned romp into plain old silliness! I have found two of these jewels recently. Two books that just made me laugh out loud with the unexpected story lines and hilarious illustrations.
Book number one is Uncle Frank’s Pit authored and illustrated by Matt McElligott. I love a book with a surprise ending and this book had that, as well as some surprises throughout. As I read and watched the pit take shape, I loved how imaginative the author was in drawing the pit. Look carefully at the details for fun things to point out to your children.

Book number two is Millie Waits for the Mail written and illustrated by Alexander Steffensmeier. Once again this book was completely different from what I imagined. This book absolutely requires you to really look at the pictures! The story line is funny, but the artwork makes it very funny. We read this book many, many times, each time finding new details or laughing at the expression on Millie’s face (Look carefully at Millie after she sits on the bike). This book is wonderful as a read aloud because there is so much to “act out” with your voice.

If you have kids (or even if you don’t) look for these books at your library – and let me know what you thought of them!

2 comments:

mimi said...

they sound real interesting! I would guess the kids and their parents would love it. love, mim

debsc100 said...

Boo! Our library doesn't have "Uncle Frank's Pit", but it does have about five others from the same author. I've got "The Truth About Cousin Ernie's Head" on hold. Sounds interesting. I also noticed that there is another book about Millie -- "Millie in the Snow". And thanks for making me go to the library's website. While on there, I noticed that we have several books that are due TODAY. You've saved me at least $1.50!