Thursday, April 1, 2010

How Does My Garden Grow?

I'm so glad you asked! It grows with tomato plants and lettuce leaves and potatoes all in a row! My garden just makes me smile. I love seeing those tiny leaves appear and grow and grow and grow. Just look at these potato plants and the lettuce behind them.

We started some tomatoes, crookneck squash, zucchini, watermelon, pumpkins, and okra plants and they are sprouting and growing quickly. The weather is warming up so they spend their days outside and their nights in the house. We plan to put them in the ground after Easter.

This pumpkin plant is from a seed we saved from a huge pumpkin Grandpa grew last year. Hopefully we will get at least one as large as his were!



Most of my seeds are heirloom seeds and we should have some interesting produce this year. We are growing Jarrahdale Pumpkins which are bluish (click here for a picture of Jarrahdale) and Lumina Pumpkins (click here for a picture of Lumina). We also plan to plant some different colors of corn: Blue Corn, Oaxacan Green, and Smoke Signals (reds & browns), as well as the traditional yellows and whites. If we can find the seeds we plan to grow some Strawberry Popcorn!

Our tomatoes are Brandywine, Eva Purple Ball, Red Zebra, Cherokee Purple, Beefsteak, and Italian Roma. I will also be planting Purple Queen, Cherokee Wax (yellow), and Blue Lake(green) snap beans. We are going to have such a colorful garden!

1 comment:

Renee' said...

Cool, I know my son is so glad to have gotten his garden finally started.