Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Thumb is Getting Greener

I have never been able to keep houseplants alive. I married a farmer and he wasn't much help in the houseplant area either. I've overwatered, underwatered, forgot they existed - basically killed every plant brought into my home, until about 3 1/2 years ago. For some reason I suddenly developed a green thumb. Granted, it is a light green thumb, not a good dark healthy green thumb. But I haven't killed a houseplant in 3 1/2 years!

I think it is because I have had my own flowerbeds for just over 5 years and evidently I just needed some practice. This year we cleaned out the front flowerbeds and transplanted the lantana (who knew those things would be 8 ft tall and multiply?) and some bulbs. Once the beds were clean I got brave and planted flower seed instead of plants from the nursery. I put in a mixture of chamomile, pansy (too late in the year unfortunately), dwarf sunflowers, and four o-clocks.

The last time I was at my in-laws home my Mother-in-law, Wanda, and I picked up seeds from her four o'clocks. She has lots of yellow ones and just a few pink ones. I love the pink ones, so we carefully removed seeds from the pink flowers and kept them separate from the mixed seed. Then, following Wanda's advice, I just threw the seed out on my beds and I have flowers! They are growing beautifully, but it is just too hot at 4 o'clock for them to open fully, so until it cools off, I have these lovely buds. Fireflame seems happy with the shade they provide. Seriously, that is his happy face...   I think...   just in case, I'll step back and let him continue his morning nap.

So Wanda, doesn't this look better than my peanut "crop" last year? I am going to try those again - one of these days!


Photobucket

No comments: