Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Bit of Craftiness!

Today I am participating in Stitching, Sketching, and Scrapping Sunday with Mama Manuscripts.  Please go take a look!


I haven't done much crafting for a week or so, but July is a pretty busy birthday month in our family and that means handmade gifts! So here is what I made for a couple of my nieces who celebrated birthdays this month.

First is an idea I got from Frugal Family Fun blog. These little paper doll tins are so cute and simple to make! I have big plans for these little gems! I am thinking about little school games (counting games, phonics games), Bible story paper dolls, and featuring vacation photos in a paper doll set for my children. And with widespread relatives I thought it would be fun to make cousin sets of all the kids for play. That would be a fun way to keep the littler cousins familiar with names and faces!




For these sets I used photos from a hot air balloon race we attended last year,


stickers and scrapbook paper for the aquarium,

beach,

 and snowman scenes.
 Then I decorated the outside of the tins with pink and purple paper and ribbon. The bottom has felt attached so no surfaces are scratched.



I also made each girl a little purse. The dog purse is made from a pattern called "Doggie Bags" by The City Stitcher.
After making the dog purse for the older niece, I realized that the loose ears and tongue might be easily torn by the younger girl, so I decided to make a simpler purse for her.


This is what I came up with. I am really happy with how the purses turned out. The paper doll tins fit inside perfectly!


Both purses are made with 100% wool felt. This felt is gorgeous! The colors are so nice and I love the smooth texture. Next up from this felt is going to be Christmas ornaments and package toppers!  The felt is from an Etsy shop, Felt on the Fly. She offers an incredible range of colors and packages them in beautiful combinations like Cowboy (blues, oranges), Roses pinks and greens, and Pumpkin Spice (rusts and oranges).


Photobucket

3 comments:

Jill said...

Love these!!! may check on getting some pics and doing these for Cali.....

Mama Manuscripts said...

Thanks for sharing on my blog. I love the idea for paper dolls and will have to make some for my daughter!

mimi said...

a really fun idea for taking in the car and playing before napping.