Sunday, September 26, 2010

Stitching, Sketching, Scrapping Sunday - September 26


It is time for Stitching, Sketching, Scrapping Sunday again. Once again I am joining Mama Manuscripts to share some homemade goodness!

Maggie turned 12 Friday. She and I made a Sock Monkey cake for her birthday party. We based the design on a piece of scrapbook paper. She drew a sketch with her color choices for us to follow in decorating the cake.







 
We decided to make the cake itself just as interesting as the frosting. Aunt Debbie sent us an email a few weeks ago with a link to this rainbow cake. She thought it would be perfect for color loving Maggie and it was!

There are six individual layers: purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red (from bottom to top).

Once frosted with orange, I added the green stripes and outlined the sock monkey. Maggie filled in the monkey with stars, with just a bit of help from me. She was doing such a good job that I moved on to other things, while she finished up the monkey and then added the purple star border at the base.

Please hop over to Mama Manuscripts and share some of your craftiness!
Photobucket

5 comments:

mamamanuscriptsplace said...

I absolutely LOVE this cake. Such fun! My daughter asked for a rainbow cake for her birthday (just passed) so we'll have to keep this in mind for next year.

Grandmother Wren said...

Wow! Now that is a Labor of Love.
Happy Birthday to the lucky girl!

wdworkman said...

Beautiful Cake!
Janet W
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

Michelle said...

Wow - the cake is amazing! I have never seen rainbow-layered cake before. If I'm daring enough - I may give it a try. Happy birthday to your daughter :)

mimi said...

Cake was really good, but so colorful and delicious too. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's perfect for Maggie
love, m