Thursday, October 28, 2010

NaNoWriMo!


I may be crazy, but I signed up for NaNoWriMo 2010. NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month and it is held each November. From November 1st to November 30th the goal is to write 50,000 (yep fifty thousand!) words in 30 days.

There is a Young Writers NaNoWriMo as well and Kirk, Maggie, and FRitW are all participating. There are workbooks for students that lead you to work out your plot, settings, and characters. We did not follow them exactly, but have been discussing and writing down our story ideas, developing our characters, and generally preparing to succeed!

The kids get to set their own word counts, but there are suggested guidelines on the website. Kirk chose 5000 words, Maggie 2000 words, and FRitW 150 words. I think everyone chose reasonable goals. 

I plan to work on a story that has been in my head for a few years now. I have begun to write it several times, but this month is it!! 

Do you have a story floating around your head? Why don't you join us? Adults sign up at http://www.nanowrimo.org/and students at http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/ .
If you join - send me an email and we can be writing buddies!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Briana said...

I'm in. I still don't have a story idea!

jlsgrant said...

I'm in too...and a little scared!! Hope we can make our deadline! I'm going to have to be way more disciplined this month! :-) Happy Writing!