Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Growing Bacteria, Part Three


We watched our petri dishes for 8 days. The first signs of growth came on day 2. The worst bacteria growth was on the TV remote and computer keyboard - ewww! Of course those things are touched by hands a lot and have so many little nooks and crannies!

Maggie's mouth had a little more bacteria than Fireflame's - That or her cooperation in swabbing gave us a better sample than his not so cooperative attitude! ~grin~

We opened each petri dish and used a swab to transfer some of the culture to a microscope slide. Then we took turns looking at bacteria.





Finally, I added bleach to each dish, sealed it shut and disposed of our bacteria experiments. But we have more petri dishes and liquid agar - so maybe, just maybe there will be another bacteria post in the future!

Notes:

Disposable dishes were recommended for safety. Being able to kill and dispose of the bacteria as opposed to needing to sterilize glass dishes made this much safer with small children in the home.

Do NOT buy plastic microscope slides. The ones I have (from our school supply store) were so thin that they did not work with our microscope slide holder. I will definitely order glass slides from HomeScienceTools.com before making any more slides.





Photobucket

4 comments:

Kelly said...

We haven't done this in a while, but my MIL is a science professor who uses agar all the time and I have access to many different types of bacterias and such. Looks like your experiments were a "success".

Deb said...

Wow, Maggie! Go brush your teeth! I've seen firsthand lately all the things and places that cats lick. That's really something that your mouth is germier than a cat's.

And nice haircut, Kirk.

lexi @ pink and orange coffee said...

totally gross and totally AWESOME!!!! I am going to put the supplies on my list of things to get at convention!

Michelle said...

This is such a cool experiment. I hope to do this with my kids soon.