I opened my package to find a soft bound student workbook, a binder with the teacher manual, an Elementary Scope and Sequence booklet, a catalog, and some information about using the curriculum in a homeschool setting.
We have never used an actual curriculum for Bible, so I sat down to explore the materials. I started with the recommendations for use in a homeschool setting. This included suggestions for using Winning the Race with one student, the whole family, or a co-op or group. Then I moved on to the scope and sequence, catalog, and finally the actual teacher manual and workbook. I was impressed with the quality, the simplicity of use, and the depth of the study.
What I like about "Winning The Race":
- There is some teacher interaction each day, but the majority of the work can be done by the student alone.
- There is plenty of room to write on each page.
- The theme of the study is a comparison of the training required for excellence in the Olympics to the preparations a Christian to make to grow in Christ. This makes the study appealing to boys or girls.
- The application. I like the way that this workbook encourages the student to look at his/her attitude and actions toward Christ. Many devotionals I have looked at merely address how to respond to a person that hurts their feelings. I think the focus in this study is more on choosing to obey God - period.
- It is not time consuming, nor does it include busy work. It is to the point, focused on the Bible.
The lesson plans include a plan for scripture memorization, hymns and choruses to learn each month, and character qualities to encourage in your children.
"Winning The Race" is available from PositiveAction.org . The teacher's manual is available in printed form (the binder I received) for $33.95 or on CD for $19.95. The Student Manual is $12.95. There is a Hymn and Chorus CD available for $9.95.
The TOS Homeschool Crew is reviewing several levels of Positive Action For Christ. I will be heading over to the Crew blog to find out what other reviewers thought about some of the younger levels. Click here to see what the other Crew members thought.
**Any products reviewed by me as a member of the 2010-2011 TOS Homeschool Crew have been given to me free of charge in order for me to provide you with an honest review of the product and/or how we used the product within our family. I do not receive any other form of compensation for the reviews posted on this blog.