Saturday, January 29, 2011

Winter Snow Activity

We are trying to spend more time studying nature by joining in the activities posted on the Handbook of Nature Study blog. We had an amazing opportunity to participate in the Snow activity (Week 2 of the Winter Wednesday series). Snow is incredibly rare in my part of the country and even rarer in January, so our January snow brought lots of excitement. Somehow I remembered to try the Snow to Water activity before the snow melted.



Add caption

Since I have not experienced much snow in my life, I really didn't know how this experiment would turn out. The idea was to measure snow and let it melt and compare the amount of water to the amount of snow.









We gathered a large bowl of snow. Then we tried a few different things. First we spooned snow into a liquid measuring cup, heaping it very loosely in the cup. We also used two other measuring cups, one tightly packed and one just spooned in and leveled.


Metal measuring cup with tightly packed snow


Here are our results:




Just 15 minutes after filling the measuring cups - already lots of melting action!


Fully melted snow. The packed snow(metal cup) produced about 2/3 cup of water. The lightly filled snow cup (orange) only about 1/4 cup. Amazing!
 
Snow spooned in to the liquid measuring cup.

Melting quickly!



 
Just over 1/4 cup of water from over a cup of snow!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Barb-Harmony Art Mom said...

It is always interesting to me to see how everyone's snow has different water content. We have really wet sloppy snow here but you must of lighter drier snow.

Thanks for sharing your entry with the OHC.

All American x5 said...

Very cool!

We have snow predicted for our area in the next couple of days and we may just try this activity!

Have a great day!

Writer said...

I'm going to have to try that experiment this week as we have snow on the ground and we are expecting more. I am now following you and I am looking forward to reading more!
WriterRani
www.indoorgardenmusings.blogspot.com

See Jamie blog said...

I haven't tried this! If we get snow again this year (it's Georgia, so we may or may not), we'll have to do this!

Briana said...

cool! I need to try some of these experiments with my children.