Monday, June 27, 2011

Chasing Rabbits, er Birds or, Can We Call This School?

It all started in a writing assignment. In the first draft of a paragraph about summer, Kirk wrote, “The birds are chirping merrily and shooting hoops in the backyard…” I laughed so hard! When I read it out loud, so did he! Obviously he didn’t intend to portray birds playing basketball in the back yard, but it was too late. FRitW, hearing the sentence, immediately began to create a scenario…

The story had begun. Our family calls English peas – “green basketballs” (I don’t remember how that started, but that’s what we call them). FRitW’s story begins with a dropped green basketball and soon teams of 100 red Cardinals and 100 Blue Jays and playing basketball with a leaf net. They even have numbers on their feathers and a Black Capped Chickadee to act as referee.

FRitW dictated his story to me and has already illustrated it (all his own idea!). He has planned to mail it to someone special so I’ll also discuss addressing an envelope and writing a friendly letter. I think we can call this a successful bit of schooling – don’t you?


Photobucket

2 comments:

Briana said...

So funny! Yes, I would call that school!

Jill said...

Sounds like some good brain storming and creative writing going on there! Count it for sure!!!