Saturday, April 28, 2012

Just Fluff and Beaks

She's perched on the edge instead of being cuddled into the nest.

Our new home came with bird nests on the front and back porches. The back porch nest has been abandoned, but we have delighted in watching our little mama bird on the front porch. After much research, we believe she is an Eastern Phoebe. This is a new bird species for us. We only moved about 40 miles from our previous home, but we’ve discovered several new insects, birds, and butterflies in this area.

Maggie noticed some different behavior from our Phoebe yesterday – she was perching on the edge of the nest instead of settling into the nest. She noted at least two tiny heads peeking up as well.
At the right of the nest is a tiny yellow beak.

I snuck out on the porch this evening and snapped a picture while the Mama bird was out hunting more food for these hungry babies. It’s not a great picture, but I was teetering on the top step of the stepladder, trying to brace my camera against the porch ceiling! Oh, and I was in a hurry – hoping not to scare the Mama too much.
Look at that open beak! Isn't the nest snug and soft inside?


We’ve seen two, possibly three heads as we’ve watched her through the window by our dining room table. I can’t wait to see them as they grow to more than just tiny bits of fuzz with huge orange beaks!


Photobucket

2 comments:

Tess said...

Oh how exciting to be able to watch a nest that has babies in it! I've been watching hummingbirds as they visit my fuchsia plant outside my window. I love watching nature!

Briana Jeffers said...

How neat to be able to watch the babies grow up!