Thursday, June 20, 2013

It's Been Awhile...

Hello again! 

I really enjoy this blog and it seems I have just completely neglected it for more than a year now. I have decided I want to get back to blogging, partly for my joy, and partly to help me track what we are doing for school. 


Since my last post in January (and really since late August of 2012) we have had lots of craziness in our lives! First: we had our first graduate from this homeschool! Our oldest - Kirk - is done. He has been an amazing student, an amazing son, and just a good kid and I am so proud of him (and us!) for staying the course and completing this homeschool journey. We are part of a great homeschool group and had a 'senior class' within that group. It was a great year working together with the other senior parents to make a beautiful graduation ceremony and a fun senior year with wonderful friendships built!





Second, we found out that we would be moving to Pennsylvania. Just for the record, that is 1200 miles from our home in East Texas. That was some pretty big news since Texas has been home our whole lives, all our family is there, and Kirk had just started a new job and was preparing to get his own place. Yes, he is staying in Texas. That takes a toll on all of us, as you can imagine. But our reason for moving was to join Dad. He's been working in Western Pennsylvania since late August. We've been to Pennsylvania 4 times and Dad has been home several times too, but life just isn't the same when your family is divided across 1200 miles! So in March, when his temporary job assignment became a permanent one, we began planning to move. We had to get past graduation, and get our house ready to go on the market, and say goodbye to friends and family. 


Petting a leopard stingray at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium

Exploring in McConnell's Mill State Park

McConnell's Mill



Spring Break in Moraine State Park



We arrived in Pennsylvania Friday, June 7th and have been exploring and getting our bearings here in our new home. 

One of the biggest changes for us will be the much stricter homeschool laws. And that is where this blog will help me! We are very excited about exploring Pennsylvania history (think Revolutionary War and Civil War from the Union point of view, Underground Railroad, the steel industry - wow! This is going to be so much fun!) and I prefer to study history in a very hands on way, so I will be recording our explorations here in blog form, with way too many photos - because I am camera happy! - so I will have documentation for our portfolios. We will also be keeping a scrapbook and timeline as we learn. 

So, here goes our first year of Pennsylvania living and homeschooling!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Briana Jeffers said...

Hey Lorus!

Congrats on your graduate. Wow, lots of excitement in your life. I can't wait to hear about your new adventures.

The Happy Homeschool Mom said...

Wow Pennsylvania! I was born and raised in WNY, but have lived in Arknsas for 11 years. What an adventure for your family! I am sure you will enjoy all of the new learning experiences. Glad to see you are back to blogging!